Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Impossible Technology

Well, I have tried uploading pictures and a video but it just doesnt want to work. The technology here is impossible. I have been spoiled with all the new-fangled gadgets we have in the west.

Im still in Pushkar right now. Its a beautiful holy city with what should be a lake in the middle. But due to pollution and a lack of education the lake has been drained for cleaning. Hopefully the people will not destroy it again but its unlikely. When there is water the people come here to pray for the happiness of family and friends and to bath and purify in the holy water. They make offerings to the water and the gods. Some of the people try to scam tourists and make them pay outrageous amounts of Rupees to throw some flowers in the water and paint their faces with paprika and turmeric. Haha. We totally went and did it, knowing what it was, just for the sake of the experience. Haha. I wish we had taken pictures of the color and rice smeared on our foreheads... its was a sight to behold.

Its very peaceful here. Usually all you can hear are the birds singing or the shop keepers calling to you from inside. Its nice here but small and Im ready to keep moving on.

The place we are staying has a garden and a small pool that is more like a pond. I wake each morning to the sound of birds and monkeys and the sun burning through the door. Its nice but hot! They keep saying that the monsoon is coming and that it will cool off but it only rains for an hour out of the day and its little sprinkles. Just enough to make it humid.

The food here is really something amazing. I loved Indian food before and even more now that its the real thing and not Americanized. The breakfast is usually heavy and spicy. Gets the blood going in the heat.

Jake will be flying back to Thailand on the 5th of August so that means Ill have at least two weeks by myself to wander around! I am very excited about this!!! I miss being alone and having time for myself. Its not terrible now, just different and not what I am used to.

I'm thinking that I want to spend that time working for a volunteer organization or something similar. Id like to focus of HIV and AIDS treatments and education. Im not sure yet and its not looking good in terms of finding a decent organization to be a part of but if I can find one Id really like to help out.

And if I like it a lot, Ill have another month left on my visa when I get back from the states to continue work! I hope to find something to do other than wander for that time. The other option is to go trekking in Sikkim for the two weeks or lounge on a beach... I like the first option better.

I know everyone wants to see more pictures. I really wish I could share them with you! I even made a video where I do a little dance and talk about my adventures for you but alas.... Ill keep the video and possibly upload it later with all the pictures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I follow your blog, although I don't have much time to comment.

The volunteering sounds cool!

Take care!!!!