Saturday, November 22, 2008

I never know what to expect anymore.

Saturday, November 15th.

Oooohhhh... The day of the Baroness show! So good.

I went up to Devon St. for lunch with Hugh and Taylor and their friends Patrick and Belinda. We walked up and down the road for almost an hour in 30 degree weather, plus wind chill, trying to find the cheapest buffet with vegetarian options. Finally, we found one for $6 and I ate samosas and fried spinach cakes until I though I would burst. Devon St is famous for being the Indian district of Chicago so all the food and shops are small and pretty authentic.

After lunch, which ended up being more like dinner, we headed back to the house where I waited for Daniel and Tega to pick me up for the show. Before we went to the show, we stopped at the Virgin Mary water mark. It is now a shrine but a few years ago, apparently, the Virgin appeared in a water make under a freeway overpass. It looks like her to me. Anyway, that was rad. I didn't have my camera but I took one with my phone.

The Baroness show was great. The sound was a little off, even I could tell, but I enjoyed it all the same. They played with Coliseum and another band I cant remember. Coliseum was really rad. I didn't know I liked them.... Maybe I am starting to like metal. Weird.

We stopped by a party after the show. I got all freaked out by some woman and her husband. I introduced myself and she went all crazy and told me I was beautiful in a weird way. I get bashful because it was in the middle of a group of people who were trying to have a conversation. She kept pushing the issue and I kept saying thanks because what else am I supposed to say? Her husband decided to join in too. I just wanted to leave. At some point I was talking to some girl about my travels and the husband guy came over and asked me "So, who takes care of you?" I told him I took care of myself, but that wasn't good enough. I wanted to punch him in his fucking patriarchal, hippy-dippy, wine drinking fucking face. What a jerk.

Back at the house, I vented about the party and ate three cloves or raw garlic to chase my cold away.


Sunday, November 16th.

Oh boy. I went to the house of a person I met on couchsurfing.com. She wasnt' awful by and means. She just wasn't my cup of tea. Really it was her friends I didn't like. They were liberal muggles to the max. Sorry if this is you.
They were extremely gossipy, talked about how Obama was going to save this country, and how racism doesn't exist anymore. They talked about the people they know, name dropping, and wasted the food they put on their plates. Julia was great, until her friends came over. Oh well. We made an apple pie sort of thing with a sweet potato crust.

When I got home, I ended up hanging out with some of the Lowercase kids until 3am.




The rest of my days in Chicago were pretty much the same. I did a lot of staying up late and sleeping until noon. I hung out with the Lowercase kids, sometimes not leaving the house at all. It got really cold there in those few days, so going out wasn't very appealing. I did finally go out to lunch at the Chicago Diner. It was good. Pretty much typical vegan food. And I went to a potluck at Voku, another collective/info shop.

I left Chicago on Wednesday. I was really starting to like it there but a week is a good amount of time to see a city. Its not like there was a whole lot to do anyway. The train ride from Chicago to DC wasn't bad. I managed to sleep a little but certainly not enough. From DC, I took a PM train down to Charlotte, NC. I met some nice people in the train station while I was waiting for the sun to come up. No, I did not sleep at all.

When the sun finally came up, it was time to hitch to Asheville. I managed to make it to Asheville in under three hours. My first ride was to the highway from the train station. My second ride was half way up I-77. The third was in a semi, which by the way is awesome, to the 77 I40 junction. I walked down the loop, to the other side of the over pass and had a ride. I waited less than 5 minutes between each ride. I was in Asheville by 9:30am.

Also, I found out that my SG set went up on the frond page while I was making my way down here. I get paid $500, which is the part I am excited about, and I now officially have Suicide Girl status. I think its really funny they named me July. I'm still unsure how I feel about being a "suicide girl"....

Other than that, it's great to see Ian. I am looking forward to our adventures!

No comments: