Thursday, March 5, 2009

Spain in General

Wow. So Spain is not what I had expected at all. Maybe its becasue I havent been feeling well, maybe its because my expectations are too high and maybe its because people just suck.

I will apologize now for ranting even more. The past week or so has been one monumental disappointment after another and I think it has put me into a bad mood. My cold still hasnt gone away completely and I just dont think its going to anymore.

Madrid is like an american city with too many tourists and everyone speaks spanish. Everything seems to be striving to be american. Lame. There are so many big business, big box stores I could vomit.

All I want now is a hot bath, a glass of nice wine and to have a real discussion about anything that amounts to more than "yeah, I used to be vegetarian..." or "Ikea has some great sales going right now!" Shoot me. Please. Im begging you....

Or even better, something that goes beyond "Wow. You spend 20 euros a week! Thats it!?! How do you manage to experience a culture without spending money? It sounds to me like to dont experience anything." Yes, you are right. I havent experienced anything at all since I got here. I cant beleive I have lived 22 years and Im just now finding out that REAL culture is in bars and shopping centers! Holy shit. My mind is blown! (Please read into this: Go Fuck Yourself you spoiled, brianwashed, twit.)

I did meet up with a girl from SG here. She was very sweet and I think Ill be staying with her in Valencia for Las Falles. Liv has been my only glimmer of light since I got here. And if everything goes as hoped, I will be able to leave tomorrow for Barcelona.

I do not expect every city I visit to be another San Francisco or Paris. Please dont think that my expectations are that high. I would like, however, for people to have an interest in the city they live in. Some suggestions of things to do or places to go outside of Plaza Mayor. Maybe knowing someone from the country your staying in instead of being american and hanging out with nothing but americans!!!

Sigh. Sorry. I know that ranting usually just makes it worse but I have to get it out somehow.

Lets focus on the good things!

I get to leave for Barcelona soon! If I leave early, this means that I cant shoot with DiazArri which would be a huge bummer but worthy sacrifice to get out of here. I have a few different people to hangout with when I get there and someone to stay with that seems awesome.

Char seems to really be getting things together for traveling with me next month and I love her for it. I want to go straight to Turkey and spend the whole month of May there. It would be a really awesome way to spend my birthday.

I found a beautiful wallet and a few gifts for people at home. I thought I should get myself a gift since I havent spent much money and havnet aquired too many things.

Jake is going to meet me in June!! It changes a few things in my plan but its fine. I am soooo excited to see him.

Maureen will be in Barcelona on Tuesday! Sweet hangouts are in order for sure!

I found new pants, again. I got new ones in Paris but i kind of tore them too. oops. The new ones are grey and super cute. Finding not ugly pants in europe is pretty difficult. I know that just means that my pants are ugly to them but whateves!

And to take the cake... I have found someone to travel with for a few days in Morocco. He is going to be driving around the country, through the deserts and into the cities for only a few days at a time! If I dont get along with him after a few days, I cant just go to the nearest town or city and make a new plan! Its going to be pretty cheap and hopefully a lot of fun!

1 comment:

Justus said...

You're trip is awesome. Your blog is awesome and I'm kinda thinking you're awesome. Thanks for sharing you amazing adventure. You're giving those of us stuck at home a little fantasy trip of our own. I hope you keep it up.

Thank you!


J~