Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Change of Heart

I had so many things I wanted to write about but now Im just drawing a blank. I hate when I do that.

Life hasn't been too exciting the past few days or weeks or however long its been since I last wrote. Mostly it consists of waking up to either monkeys on the roof or Jake forcing me out of bed with Lady Gaga blasting in my ears! Both are great ways to wake up in my opinion. Ive been learning to cook more and actually made chapati the other day with the "kitchen boy." He has a name and its Baldram (I'm not really sure how to spell it but I think you get it) and Im a jerk for always calling him the "kitchen boy." Mama is finally feeling better and back in the kitchen with the rest of us! Yay!

Ive been watching Rashika a lot the past few days and I think she is finally getting really comfortable with me. She fell asleep today while I was holding her instead of screaming for her mother. I keep thinking about everyone who knows me and how they would all be shocked and horrified to know that I am looking after a baby and playing with small children.

Today I had a nice little adventure with Bobbi out into the market. She took me to the textiles market to buy fabric for a new dress. Its not a sari, its a salwar kameez. Its a combination of pants, a long top and a sash. I bought two and I'm excited to be dressing in more traditional clothing. I should have them by Saturday! Not exactly my style for home, we all know I like my clothes tight and skinny! But they will do me well here.

I finished the first draft for my zine, now I just need it edited by a few people and revised for a second draft. I'm a little worried that the writing is too dry but there just isn't a way for me to explain medical procedures in a colorful manner. Ive asked my friend Tina to illustrate it and I'm hoping that having some fun pictures will help. We will just have to wait and see though.

Hmmm....

Oh yes, I have been very excited about all the fat that is melting off my body! A combination of the heat, the food and a daily dose of yoga has me in really good shape (lets just say that I have hip bones again). I had gained a lot of weight while I was in Morocco and couldn't shed it until now. It feels good to be healthy.

Ive also started to learn Hindi. I had my first lesson yesterday and Ill have another today! Its not nearly as difficult as it seems but still not easy. The kids like to help me a lot and Im trying to think of ways for me to learn Hindi and for them to learn English at the same time.

I cant really think of anything else to talk about that is positive. I could tell you about how my camera is broken (cool), or how there is a creepy guy who watches me a lot but that's no fun! I did drink unfiltered local water recently. I think Ill be OK since the water here seems fine. I'm so over iodine or bottled water.... And if I'm staying or coming back in the fall, I may as well get used to it.

I'm still looking into volunteer opportunities. Mama wants me to stay and Id like to but I just cant bring myself to commit that much of my life to one thing. She is old and wants someone who will take care of things and be around for a while. I'm just not that person. Ill stay either until the 1st or just after, or I will stay until its time to fly home to Portland. Id like to come back to India in October and if I can have my visa extended Ill stick around for a few months longer, otherwise its off to Thailand in November. Its a darn shame I hate commitment so much but at the same time its good to know I wont get backed into anything I dont really want.

So thats life. Its not very exciting but Im happy and at ease. Jake will leave soon and Ill move down stairs and live as part of the family.

Im getting really excited about going back to Portland. It will be a lot of fun to see everyone again and to ride a bike! Its been to long. Far, far too long!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You seem always very spontaneous and I love that!

Too bad we'll miss each other in Portland...

Have fun and enjoy the trip!

:)