Thursday, July 9, 2009

Unique Opportunity

I have been offered the unique opportunity to stay in Bundi. I like it here. The family that has invited me is wonderful. It seems to be a once in a lifetime opportunity that I shouldn't pass up and I don't want to.

The invitation is to stay to learn and work in exchange for a room and food. I couldn't really ask for more. The women here work very hard and I would be no exception. Long days of cooking, cleaning and caring for children. Some how this doesn't bother me.

I would need to learn some Hindi which should be no problem and find some more traditional clothing to wear. Other than that, I can still just be me in India! When I get back to the states in August, Id need to renew my visa and figure out a new plan but thats nothing new for me.

Im not sure what this means for Jake. We both agree that him just hanging out for the next few weeks would be not only awkward and boring for him but also very stressful for me. We will wait to see what happens.

Funny how things work. I wasn't even going to visit Bundi and now it looks like Im going to stay!

As for what I have been doing.... Yesterday we went out of the city to the most beautiful waterfall. Actually, it was more like a trickle but still gorgeous. There was a temple there in the side of a cliff with people singing and chanting while they prayed. It is the start of another celebration here. For one month the people make offerings to Shiva, the god of destruction and chaos, and fast and clean their homes. Its all very exciting and really wonderful to see all together in the temples. I could have stayed all day. We will be going back tomorrow for a pick nick and possibly swimming, although Im not sure how that would work for me, being a woman and all....

There are monkeys everywhere here and I was almost attacked last night. It was my own fault. I tried to shoo it away from the water tank and it felt threatened. Oops. I'm just glad it was an evening monkey and therefore much less aggressive!

Hope everyone is enjoying the pictures, finally. It took me three hours to upload all of them!

No comments: