Thursday, September 18, 2008

Oh Me, Oh My!

I really love San Francisco.

Its been just under one week and so much has happened! I have felt the intense pressure of a big city and being on my own and I have to say that after my moments of panic, I really like it here. My emotions have gone from intense loneliness, overwhelming homesickness and boredom to a feeling of complete joy! I miss my friends but its worth it to make new ones. 

My days haven't consisted of much but I still feel accomplished and content.  I will start my new job tomorrow which I think will help me stay busy.   

Most of you know, I was offered a job last weekend!  I will be working part time at a local lingerie shop in The Mission.  It will pay $10/hr and I will be working through October 15th!  I am really excited about this since it will allow me to get to know the city and people here for a little longer than originally planned!

As for what I have been up to:  I drink way too much coffee here. Most of it sucks, which is why I drink so much.  I went to a taxidermy shop (which, by the way, is the best spot in SF), a pirate shop, I have eaten tons of wonderful vegan goodies, had way too much wine, hung out with great folks, etc.   

I have been staying in a house with four boys in the Upper Haight area.  They are a bunch of rowdy, gross boys but I like them all the same.  They say "hella" a lot, way too much in fact but they are good boys that I hope to keep in contact with for a long time.  

A few nights ago, we decided to go to the park to hang out and see the Painted Ladies.  They drank and I hung out with some random dogs on the stairs while I talked to Jake.  On the walk back to their house we were stopped and invited into a party where there was a "noise" band playing.  (I really hate that crap.  It was weird, ambient, hippy music.) I sat in the living room and discussed how flirty this city is with Abe (one of the guys I am staying with) and one of the dudes that lived in the house.  It was, as I have learned to call it, Fish Fun.  (Fish Fun is described as surreal situations, in which, you have no idea how you ended up there or how to get out.)

I have watched crazy movies about Mexican gangs, eaten giant felafels, had pic-nicks in the park, and climbed Strawberry Hill.  All in all, it sound like a busy time, but in reality it's not.  

I really do like it here though.  The city has a lot to offer and I feel like I could live here.  We shall see how I feel about it by the end of this trip.  Its expensive but I think worth it.  

Tonight is my first night in Oakland.  I'm not sure how I feel about it just yet. I'm still freaked out because everyone I know who has come here has been robbed!  I walk around with my mase and taser ready to fire but so far, I've had no action.  

Anyway. I'm tired, slightly hung over (you don't want to know) and about to watch Flight of the Navigator.  That's way more fun than just typing away to all of you!

I will try to post pictures soon!  My access to the Internet has been extremely limited...

3 comments:

farrellvegan said...

:o) i've been checking to see if you've written. sounds like you are really getting a good dose of city fun. i loved it there. public transportation is never dull and there is definitely a certain charm to SF. I'm glad you've been hanging out in parks and saw the Painted Ladies (something i wanted to do but never got to). My old roommate is seriously into taxidermy so i probably have been to the shop you were talking about. Don't miss out on visiting the beach. It's beautiful and cold and windy.. the waves are amazing! There is also a concrete slide in Castro that you should visit. AND you'll be in town for LOVE fest!! Take lots of pictures... I never got to experience it for myself. :o( Miss your face. Glad you are thriving off the mellow flow of SF. I miss it sometimes.

xBWRNWx said...

Yeah blood! the bay is so tight. My friend maryam is moving into a house in oakland next month and I also really want too move there. Maybe in January I will. I'm really glad it sounds like you're enjoying yourself. Portland is just not the same without you.

elasticfate said...

we're glad you like it here. sf likes you too.