Thursday, February 5, 2009

Paris, Above and Below....

So Paris has turned out to be everything I could have ever wanted. I have met some wonderful people, seen almost all of the tourist sights, finally figured out why everyone is raving about French bread and so on.

But I have to say that the highlight, so far, was this evening. I was given the unique opportunity to tour Paris underground. The tunnels are illegal and very easy to get lost in but totally worth the risk! It was fun and scary and tiring and a million other things at once! The guys who took me were very nice and accommodating. I didn't have the right kind of shoes for walking through the mud and pools of water so they carried me most of the way. I think they took a picture or two. At one point we were nearly 30 meters under Paris; the lowest point in the city.

I feel very privileged to have seen the under side of the city. Its not something most people get to do and it is beautiful. There is a cavern inside that has been painted with many murals and graffiti where we sat and drank wine and rested. I would love to go again but a little better prepared....

I am now staying with Thomas, a guy I met in London. He and his roommates are a great bunch. It is like I have three French brothers looking after me. My first night here I got to take a bath in a very large tub. It was so nice to soak for almost an hour drinking wine and listening to music. I think tomorrow I will go to the market and make a nice dinner. I haven't had a real meal since I got here! When I was staying with Edwardo, the Brazilian guy, I got to eat at the university café a few times but its just not the same.

My French lessons have continued but I don't really think I am getting any better.... Some moments I think that its much better and other times I cant remember anything. The French 'r' is very difficult so I have trouble with most words. If anything my English is deteriorating.

Lets see... what else.... I have recorded a video for everyone and taken tons of pictures but you will again have to wait to see them. I am a bit bashful of the video but I would like to take a few more as I continue.

Melanie, the girl I met in London, will be in Paris for the weekend! I am very excited about this. I am hoping I have more than a day to spend with her but weekends are short. I am also hoping to meet her brother again since we didn't get much chance to talk in the tunnels.

I think Nantes is next of places to go. I hear Rennes is nice as well, so I may go there instead. Everything is left to chance these days so Ill just see what happens. Really I would like to stay in Paris but I know I must keep moving. Its like SF all over again. I'll just say it, I wouldn't mind living here....

And I will leave you with that. I know I am forgetting things but then I can just keep them for myself!

No comments: