Sunday, October 5, 2008

Your too smart to breed

I just want to make a quick note about my phone before I get started.
My wonderful phone has stood the test of time, until now. Its been all over the county. Through many meaningful and meaningless relationships, in air planes and cars and on my bike and now, after this past week, I think its had it.

I have dropped my phone a countless number of times. The screen was cracked before I left but now its almost so bad I cant text. I have spilled everything from water to juice to beer on my phone. It was stolen the other night, however briefly, and some terrible texts were sent. I'm not sure who all got them or even what they said but just know, it wasn't me. The screen was fine before she got a hold of it but I think I must have pissed her off and her retaliation was to abuse my phone.

Needless to say, my phone privileges are quite limited. I dont really want to get a new one, since I can only use it until January but not having a phone at this point would greatly reduce the amount of fun I could have.

Anyway. Fun times....


Wednesday, October 1st.

I had a doctors appointment and thought it would be nice to ride my bike. Whatever people in this city say is mostly flat, isn't. "Take Polk all the way up. Its mostly flat and the quickest route." Yes, it was quick but not flat. There weren't any giant SF famous hills to climb but it still wasn't flat.

I got there sweaty and hungry.

When I was finished I had almost two hours to kill before I had to be to work so I took the Embarcadero all the way around the city. Its a great way to start the day! I really liked getting so much exercise so early in the day!

My day was going well until I started to feel sick. Instead of going out that evening, I went to the store got some soup and went back to the Hampshire house. I sat in my sleeping bag and watched Dirty Dancing and passed out.

It was so nice to be able to sleep for so long. I haven't done that in a while.



Thursday, October 2nd.


Phil called me! It was so nice to wake up to a call from a friend. He wanted my apple pie recipe. I ended up talking to Naomi for a lot longer than Phil while I walked to work.

I like getting places early now. It gives me time to sit around and read. Some guy that works next door got confused and asked if I had been sitting there all day.
Sam the boy stopped by while I was working. I was in a weird mood and I think I was being really dismissive. Oops.

I had made plans with Ken and Sam the girl to go to a Potato Potluck that night. I was really excited to go, although, 20lbs of cooked potatoes doesn't seem as appealing. They were running late and canceled. I had already gotten two pints of ice cream and soy whip to go with the sweet potato pie they made. I didnt want it to go to waste so I went out to Oakland. We all ate way too much pie and ice cream and felt sick afterward.

Ken and I discussed zines and such for a while and he somehow convinced me to follow up on the zine I had planned to write a while a go. Ken can do that. He gets me pumped about things that I don't usually have any interest in.


Friday, October 3rd.


Oh, the joys of work! Time just drags on in that place. I like it. I get to work on my zine, read and become a solitaire pro. Plus I get paid! I had agreed to go with Ken to an Art Walk event in Oakland that night. -- I'm not really sure why. I don't usually agree with that sort of thing. Celebrating the gentrification of a community isn't generally my jam. But whatevs.

When I got off of work Chas text me to see what I was up to. I met him and Joe at a bar down the street. We talked and I drank and it was a gay time. Some asshole friend of theirs showed up and kept making really sexist and racist jokes to me and another woman there, who happened to be black. It was really uncomfortable and I couldn't wait to leave.

When I finally did get out of there I was late to meet Ken. The ride on BART was amusing to say the least. There were these girls dressed up like zombies, in stripper clothes, getting trashed. They were trying to have an intellectual conversation about Chuck Palahniuk and gentrification. Mind you, these had nothing to do with one another, but they were talking about it at the same time. One of the girls was screaming about doing crack and how it brought her closer to the black community around her. She is white. She is drunk. And she has no fucking clue how offensive this is.

When I finally got to Ken,I felt terrible. He was sitting alone against a wall in a crowd of people. I thought he had been with friends. I let him vent about his day and evening before we decide to leave. I brought up my feelings about the art walk and he agreed. Not that its any better or worse than the influx of white kids in general.

We rode around looking for Ken's frineds house. There was supposed to be a show. By this time we are both drunk and I dont know Oakland at all. Then in started to sprinkle. Nothing too bad but I was definately getting wet. We were officially lost. We figured out we were in industrial West Oakland. And now it was not just raining, it was pouring. I was soaked! It was not looking good at all. We thankfully found some hipster kid who was going to the place we were trying to find.

When we got to the The Ghost Town Space, we both looked pathetic. Sopping wet. It was no fun.

There was a show at the gallery and tons of hipster kids. I hate to admit it, I fit in. I met this girl Kyra. She is super rad. I really like her. I need to call her.
Anyway, my night at this point gets hazy. I danced with Kyra and the band played the Muppet Babies Theme song and I know we got a ride home with Ken's friend Kate.

I hate to admit it but I dont have much memory of the night. Bad News. I ate pie at the house with Ken and managed to change out of my still soaking we clothes.

Somewhere in all of this is where my phone was taken.


Saturday, October 4th.

After going to bed after 3am you would think I would sleep late. No. I was up at 9:30am and would give anything for a glass of water. Ken was already up and made us oatmeal. We sat around for a while and then I drew pictures on the chalk board while Ken made pancakes.

I had to go to a laundromat to dry my clothes. Everything except my shorts were still wet. So here I am, in my super short AA shorts running down to the the corner to dry everything.

Ken had given me a book to read. No One Belongs Here More Than You. Its really good! I have read almost half already.

I didn't want to go back into the city because I was supposed to go to a punk show that night and there was a parade happening so BART would be way too crowded. I wandered around Downtown Oakland, made an appointment at Temple Tattoo and ate really really bad Vietnamese food. The place was actually the equivalent to Vegetarian House but not good. I went to Lake Merritt to read for a bit but it was cold and that lake is the most disgusting lake I have ever encountered.

I called Jake and started my 4 mile walk back to Ken's. When I got there we made mashed potatoes and ate way too much. Ken's friend Sam, yes this is the third, invited us to a house show. We decided to go to that instead of the punk show. When I got there I wanted to die, just a little. It was an anarchist folk punk show. I don't generally like crust punks, and I really don't like folk punk. I tried my best to make the best of it but it just wasnt happening. I was in my purple hoodie and light blue ReLoad bag with a big purple moose sewn on the back. I was not hip for this bunch. I actually think I was the only person wearing a bright color. I couldnt hack it. I went back to Ken's house. Sam the girl was up and we sat on the couch in the kitchen and ate ice cream and pie. When we ran out of that we started eating soy whip by the spoonful. I know, gross. But so good!! We vegged out and had "girl talk" and laughed until it hurt.

By midnight we were both feeling sick and she went to bed. I stayed up for a bit and read while listening to the Star Wars soundtrack. It was rad!!


Sunday, October 5th.

Not much going on today. I sat on the roof with Ken and Sam for a while. Then I came back to the city. I want to make cookies. I don't want to spend the money to actually buy the ingredients. If Sam the boy or PJ is working it might not be a problem.... We will see!

I promise, pictures soon!

No comments: